Dogs and Chocolate Toxicity

chocolate toxic to dogsIt’s only a few days until Easter, and it’s the highest risk time for dogs and chocolate toxicity! No doubt there are families out there who already have Easter Bunny loot stashed away for their children. We all know dogs have a super-good sense of smell, so if you haven’t put the chocolate up high, there is the real risk your pup could sniff it out and help themselves! 

The infographic above gives an estimated amount of chocolate that can be deadly for dogs based on their weight. It can’t be stressed enough that NO amount is safe. Every dog is different and it should always be treated as an emergency. For those who are unable to view the image, we have summarised it below.

Chocolate is harmful to dogs due to the caffeine and theobromine in it. Theobromine content is higher the darker the chocolate as it is found in the cocoa.

SYMPtoms of chocolate toxicity

  • Excessive drinking
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tachycardia (racing heartbeat)
  •  High blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors

If you think your dog has consumed chocolate, it is vital you get them to a vet as soon as possible for treatment. If you really want to give your dog an Easter treat, there are dog-friendly options available. Why not ask Karen here at Canine Cubby about her wonderful doggy treats and chocolates?

We hope you have a safe and happy Easter with no chocolate emergencies!